The team at ACCR lodged a resolution which was heard at the 2018 Annual General Meeting of Origin Energy.
Origin Energy is planning to frack gasfields in the Beetaloo Basin, Northern Territory (NT). ACCR lodged a shareholder resolution asking Origin to explain how they are establishing free, prior and informed consent from Aboriginal Traditional Owners and communities for fracking projects in the NT. Indigenous communities have raised concerns that petroleum exploration permits have been granted without proper consent processes in place.
ACCR also asked Origin to set and publish interim targets that are aligned with the goal of the Paris Climate Agreement to limit global warming to well below 2°C, and regularly review objectives to meet these targets over the next decade.
Finally, ACCR asked Origin for a comprehensive review of their indirect and direct lobbying on energy and climate change, including through industry associations of which Origin is a member.
At the Origin Energy AGM which took place on Wednesday 17 October in Sydney, proxies were instructed to vote on 3 resolutions that were lodged by the ACCR. The proxy voting results were:
- 7.3% FOR resolution 9B on free, prior and informed consent
- 11.83% FOR resolution 9C on interim emissions
- 46.32% FOR resolution 9D on climate change lobbying
Read the full results here.
The 46% vote in favour of resolution 9D (our resolution on lobbying) is the largest vote for any shareholder proposal (without Board support) in Australian corporate history.
Thank you to each of our supportive shareholders for getting this resolution over the line.
- Find out What Issues We Support
- Sign Up to our Shareholder Database to support future resolution
- Explore the results of previous campaigns
- Explore the Media Coverage this and Other Resolutions Have Received